The ISC2 CNMC offers mentoring to individuals seeking to advance their careers in cyber security. Please join our group to take advantage of this member benefit. Join here:
What is Mentoring?
Mentoring is a professional relationship between two people, where a more experienced person guides a less experienced person through subjects where professional development is desired .
A “mentor” is usually an experienced individual who shares knowledge, experience, and advice with a less experienced person, or “mentee.”
Ideas to Help You Succeed at Being a Mentee
- Set clear goals and objectives
- Set expectations – What do I need?
- Tell your mentor what you want to gain from the experience
- Share where you are failing or struggling
- Listen, research and apply the mentor’s guidance
Ideas to Help You Succeed at Being a Mentor
- Set expectations – What can I offer?
- Explore personal motivation and readiness to be a mentor
- Assess your skills and identify your own areas for learning and development
- Do not look for chemistry. Instead, ask “Can I work productively with this individual? Do I honestly feel that I can further this person’s learning?”
- Ask: What is the most useful kind of assistance I can provide?
Preparation for Both Mentor & Mentee
- Clarify expectations and roles
- Establish ground rules
- Plan an agenda
- Agree to a realistic schedule
- Determine how often to meet
- Determine how to meet (in person, by phone, video conference, etc.)
- Determine how long meetings and the mentoring relationship will last
- Ask for feedback
- Define what success looks like for you
- Discuss options and opportunities for learning
Please fill out the form. We will be contacting you shortly.